Master of Arts in English
The Kutztown University Master of Arts in English offers an interdisciplinary approach to the study of such forms of expression as literature, film, digital media, creative writing, journalism, theory, rhetoric, composition, and cultural studies. Designed to serve teachers seeking advanced credentials, writers aiming to hone their craft, and scholars hoping to enter doctorate programs, our graduate program is rigorous yet convenient to the busy schedules of our diverse community.
Our graduate faculty bring experience, initiative, and innovation to an expanding array of courses. As a master’s candidate, you’ll work closely with faculty to coordinate coursework that suits your needs, and you’ll be encouraged to make connections among your courses and bring real-world insight to your studies. Courses are offered at convenient times, and you’ll have the flexibility to pursue either a thesis or a portfolio to complete your degree.
Through the study of writing, literature, rhetoric, culture, and media, the M.A. in English at KU prepares students for success on their terms. Students have the opportunity to:
- Build a broad knowledge of literature, culture, and theory;
- Cultivate essential skills in analysis and advanced critical judgment;
- Master the craft of inquiry and research;
- Hone writing and communication skills;
- Bridge disciplines and practice critical reading and writing strategies;
- Develop advanced pedagogical techniques; and
- Prepare for further graduate studies.
Students select from 38 regularly offered classes in an array of exciting subjects and are welcome to include three hours of coursework from a discipline outside English Studies. In addition to the traditional M.A. in English, students can also complete the M.A. in English with a concentration in Composition, Rhetoric, and Literacy Studies.